Thursday, June 4, 2009

Things I like Thursday (and a bit of a personal update)

Well it's time again for Things I like Thursday, and I thought I'd feature some more preschool resources.
I have to admit, we've decided to put some of our formal curriculum on hold for a bit, while we work though other issues. We are in the process of switching pediatricians, and having L evaluated what is almost certainly SPD, and possibly Asperger's? ADHD? Both? Something else? I don't know. I had thought we could do school now, and just work through things as they came up, but that isn't working out for us.
In the meantime, I'm trying to piece together what we're going to do later in the summer, or early fall. There doesn't seem to be a one size fits all solution for L, who is very advanced in certain areas, and considerably behind in others.
All of that is to say that I'm constantly on the lookout for new resources that might work for us. I've already said how much I like the Bright Beginnings curriculum we've been using. It's very thorough, and Christian based, and would have been perfect for L when he was about 2 1/2. At this point, he's way past the math and literacy practice included in the program, so that's sort of a problem for us. Nonetheless, I really really like this one, and I'll likely be using it for baby V in a few years. I would totally recommend it, and I found ours on Ebay for $27, so it's affordable too.
I'd also like to reiterate how great I think the Letter of the Week curriculum is. I went to the trouble to print it all out and start getting it ready to use last year, and then L went and learned his letter sounds and so on, on his own, in a couple of weeks. Argh. We are still using elements of this as a review. It's also free, which is great.
Another free curriculum that I like is ABC Jesus loves me. There is a set of lessons for 3 and 4 year olds, which is nice since those ages are frequently lumped together, and I find there's a pretty big difference between a 3 year old and a 4 year old. It's Christian based, (obviously,) which may or may not be a plus to you, but it is to me. It also has a lot of elements you could sort of use in bits and pieces with whatever you're already using.
Anyway, those are three things I like this Thursday. Did I miss any? What are you using for your 4-5 year old?

2 comments:

  1. I don't homeschool, but I think it is becoming more and more popular to blend several curriculums to fit your family preferences and child's levels of abilities and learning styles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right. I was totally prepared to do that later, but I was hoping to find something easy and already put together this first year or two, while I figure out what I'm doing. lol.

    ReplyDelete