Saturday, May 1, 2010

Montessori Hack: Sand Writing

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I love looking through Montessori catalogs. The materials are so pretty and I love the idea of the kids getting to use "real" things, not just toy versions of things. I find the educational theory interesting, but it isn't doesn't really fit our lifestyle, for a number of reasons. Nonetheless, I've decided to put my own spin on some of the neat materials and Montessori excercises. I'll be sharing them periodically.

This first one is almost too simple. I saw a similar setup in a catalog for about $50, except the sand was natural colored, and it came in a pretty wooden box. My version has cool blue Crayola colored sand in a plastic food container, but the purpose is the same, to encourage kids to practice writing letters and numbers in the sand.

Pretty cool, huh? (And cheap...)

2 comments:

  1. Love it.

    Thanks for your encouragement today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one of my favorite activities back when I was a montessori student over 25 years ago. Our school used a shallow, bright purple, plastic plate will sides (if that makes sense) with white salt as the sand. The salt was shallow enough that your finger would push through to the plate and you were left with a bright purple letter. I'm glad I received the education that I got, but Montessori ideas can definitely be brought into the home and school without expensive supplies and high tuition.

    ReplyDelete