Thursday, July 29, 2010

DIY Post Office Kit


We're actually going to be doing a mail carrier/mail unit study here next year, so this is going be useful for us, besides just being fun.

The way I see it, there are two routes you can go for this kit. For an older child, I'd put together an actual mail kit, complete with a book of stamps, some fun stationary, some stickers, a cool pen, and a list of relevant addresses, (grandma's, a favorite cousin's, etc.)
I may in fact do that anyway for L, who is just now getting interested in getting real mail.

For little ones, like V, a toy felt set seems like a better idea. Here's the simple set I put together for mine (constructed of felt, and machine sewn,) but if you're feeling a little more ambitious, here's a great tutorial for a more elaborate mail set.
I was going to try to construct a felt mailbox, and then thought better of it. I think we still have a couple of little tin mailboxes lying around here from Valentine's day.

2 comments:

  1. Just getting caught up on my blog reader today, and I saw your cute mail set. It will be perfect for a unit on mail! And I especially love that it doesn't take a month to make! ;) I was surprised and excited to see that you included a link to my project as well. That's so kind of you! I looked for two of those little tin mailboxes so that I didn't have to make two, but I couldn't. So odd. I feel like I see them everywhere . . . except when I needed them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great idea! You are so creative! Wishing I had done cool stuff like that with mine, they are big now..

    ReplyDelete