It's been a while since I've dyed any yarn. In the past, I've done my dying in the microwave. It's pretty easy and it works, although (in my experience,) the results haven't been very vibrant, and there are more blank splotches than I'd like.
I recently decided to give crockpot dyeing a try. I ended up using this tutorial at do stuff!
Since this was my first attempt, I wasn't expecting to get results quite as good as hers, but I was very happy with what I ended up with. The colors were brighter and more even.
This was also an even less labor intensive method than the microwave, since the yarn can just sort of do its thing in the background throughout the day, while you're doing other stuff. (No standing by the microwave, checking and restarting...)
Now, what to make with it...