Saturday, May 21, 2011

A Declaration of Intent

I've never been athletic. In elementary school, I'd beg mom to write me a note to get me out of P.E. (Yes, it's true. In that capacity, she was something of an enabler.) In high school, I moved on to skipping P.E. altogether. It was just never my thing. I was never particularly good at any games, nor did I exactly know how to play anything, coming as I did from a background of people who had to work on the weekend, instead of coaching soccer or t-ball.
As an adult, I've made the occasional attempt at physical fitness. I joined a gym for a while with my sister once, where she whooped me on the treadmill, the elliptical machine, and basically everything else. I've worked out at home here and there with DVDs, and more recently, on the Wii. I'm not great on the follow through though. Eventually I get bored, or tired, or distracted by other things, and my good intentions are forgotten.
Next month, I turn 30. Both of my parents have type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. One of my sisters, (in her 40's,)  has osteoporosis. I've decided to make a real effort this time to get in better shape. I'm not looking to lose weight, (my weight's fine,) just to be in better health. Right now I'm the absolute definition of a couch potato.
I've downloaded the C25K app on my phone, and along with my new running buddy, (the dog,) I'm going to try to complete it.

My exercise buddy.


I figured if I told you all, I might be obligated to follow through with it. :) I'll let you know how it goes.



No comments:

Post a Comment