Sunday, July 3, 2011

Review: Stevia in the Raw


The folks at Stevia in the Raw recently send me several samples of their product, in order to facilitate a review, and so that I might participate in their recent Twitter party.

What is Stevia in the Raw? According to the literature I was sent, it is "a zero-calorie, granulated sweetener made directly from the leafy green foliage of the Stevia plant." (For more info, check out their FAQ's.)

It's available in a 50 packet box, and 9.7 ounce bag. The product is gluten-free, and apparently can be used by diabetics.

I tried the product mainly in my morning, (ok, all day,) coffee. The first time around I overdid it, big time. Stevia is much sweeter than sugar, and it takes a little tinkering to figure out how much you'll need. Ultimately I found that I preferred less than one packet in a large cup of coffee. (The availability of single serving size packets is very convienient, by the way.)

In my opinion, this product, like every other sugar substitute I've ever tried, takes a little getting used to, as it doesn't taste exactly like sugar. The website states that Stevia in the Raw has less of an aftertaste than similar products, and I'd tend to agree.

The verdict: Ultimately, if calories were no issue, I'd choose good old fattening sugar over anything else. For those who are watching their caloric intake, or are are on a diabetic diet, though, Stevia seems like a good choice.

The Stevia in the Raw website is full of useful information, like recipes, coupons, and a search function to find the products in your area.

Disclosure: I was provided with product samples to facilitate this review. No other compensation was provided, and the opinions expressed are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment