Monday, July 6, 2009

ProWash Activewear Detergent (Review)

I was excited to have the opportunity to test out ProWash Activewear Detergent recently. Laundry is a big part of my life. I probably wash at least a dozen loads a week.
Here are some of the interesting details about the product, as per the manufacturer:

Activewear Detergent

The 24 OZ container cleans 24 loads.

Removes embedded odors from wicking fabrics better than ordinary detergent.

Especially designed for Nike Dry-Fit, Under Armour, and Columbia Sportswear activewear.

Rinses clean.

Prevents fading.

For top load, front load, HE washers, and hand washing.

The pouch uses 83% less plastic than a rigid PET bottle.

Here are my impressions:

I used the whole container before posting about the product because I wanted to see how it performed on a variety of different fabrics. Overall, I was pretty impressed.

Pros:
I really liked the Eco friendly soft pouch the detergent came in. I was initially worried it might be messier to dispense, or more likely to spill, but it wasn't. I'm now actually wondering why other companies aren't packaging their products this way. It's such a good idea, and probably my favorite feature of the product.
I tried the detergent out on a variety of fabrics, even wool, since the package said it was safe. Everything ( even the wool,) came out smelling and looking clean. I didn't have any workout clothes to try it on, but I used it on my husband's sweaty work clothes, and they came out nicely.
I liked that the soap was safe to use in a HE front load washer, which is what we have. We purchased our washer a few months ago, and I've been surprised to notice that most of the detergents I was used to using aren't formulated for for HE front loaders.
Potential Cons:
This detergent is a different texture than what you're probably used to. It's thinner, and you have to be careful not to pour too much, as it would be hard to pour it back into the container. Once you get used to it, it's not a big deal.
The scent of the detergent is light and clean. It was fine with me, but if you are used to using something with a heavy floral or perfume-y scent, you might be underwhelmed by the smell.
The detergent is a little more expensive that what what we're currently using. While I used it on everything we had to see how it worked, I probably wouldn't do that in general. More likely, I could see buying this to use specifically on sports uniforms, workout clothes, bathing suits, etc. In that context, it would be worth a few extra bucks to take good care of your expensive workout gear.
All in all, I think this is a neat product especially if you have any stinky athletes in your house. It's not currently available in my local stores, but I did find it on Amazon and Drugstore.com.
You can find out more about the product at www.prowashdetergent.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment