Wednesday, July 22, 2009

WFMW Scholastic Storybook Treasures for family movie night


I've been fairly disappointed with a lot of children's movies lately. It seems that in order to make the movies more entertaining for mom and dad, they've added a lot of innuendo and bad language to many recent "family movies". As an adult, I'm not offended by that stuff, and maybe it wouldn't bother me at all if my kids were older. As it is though, I have a fifteen month old and a 4 year old, and I don't want to explain what certain things mean, or try to keep the kids from repeating everything. (Both my kids are repeaters.)
We've rented several Scholastic Storybook Treasures DVDS from the library, and they're always a hit around here. Some of the featured books are familiar to our family, some are not. They're always appropriate for little ones though, and equally, they're entertaining. (Even for my husband and I. Seriously. We laugh out loud.) Yesterday, we picked up a 4 DVD set called Treasury of 25 Storybook Classics, Dinosaurs, Trucks, Monsters, and more for right at $20 at Best Buy. We came home and had family movie night, complete with a big pallet on the floor, junky snacks, and an extra late bedtime. It was great. My husband and I enjoyed watching The Mouse and the Motorcycle, which we remembered reading and watching when we were kids. We all really enjoyed I Stink, and Arnie the Doughnut, which were new to us. (My son specifically asked to watch these two stories as soon as we woke up this morning.)
For less than the price of a trip to the theater, we got to spend some fun family time at home, and were introduced to some new books, which I'll be on the lookout for.
Fun, educational, family friendly movie night works for me. Scholastic DVDS are great.
For more WFMW tips, check out www.wearethatfamily.com.
(Incidentally, I was not reimbursed for this review. I paid full price for the DVDS, and will buy some more. They're that good.)

1 comment:

  1. I agree on the frustration with that in family movies. That is a good tip.

    ReplyDelete