Thursday, May 27, 2010

Pokemon Book Project

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

L has fallen in love with Pokemon magazines and comic books. He loves to pore over the pages, and investigate every detail of every picture.

A while back, he and I collaborated on his idea to make his own Pokemon magazines. We've been folding up large pieces of construction paper, booklet style, and drawing illustrations on the "pages." He occasionally dictates some narration to me, which I write for him.

We recently upgraded this idea by buying him a good quality, large spiral sketchpad to make his own Pokemon book. He's been diligently working on it, drawing a few pages at a time.

He's having so much fun, and as a side note, it's a good opportunity for him to work on his fine motor skills.

I figure this is one of those, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" situations. Some of the doctors and his OT have suggested that we try to sway him away from his "narrow interests." (Obviously, right now it's Pokemon.) I've tried it before, with limited success. I figure as long as he's willing to try to meet me halfway, I'll try to work with what he's interested in, when possible. The whole "draw me a picture, and then tell me about it" thing is pretty standard pre-k/k fare. In this case, he just gets to choose his own topic, instead of me choosing for him.

(In case you're wondering, I'd be hard pressed to tell you what this picture is of. He carefully draws the Pokemon, and then draws their "attacks," aka, scribbles all over them. He knows what they are though, and can narrate a picture he drew several days before.)

No comments:

Post a Comment