Thursday, July 15, 2010

Toddler Curriculum? Well not exactly.




If V were an only child, I wouldn't even consider doing anything academic with her. At 2 years old, she's just too young to even start worrying about it.

She's not an only child though, and by golly she's convinced that she can and should be doing everything L is doing.

So I've had to take her into consideration, when planning L's education for next year. Because she's right in the middle of everything.

I figure if she wants to, she can sit in on our reading, and attempt some of the art projects. Other than that, I've printed off some alphabet activities for her to color and paint, since she's interested in letters right now. I'm also going to be doing some little activity boxes for her to play with exclusively while L and I do school. (Actually, they're just baby wipe boxes full of play doh, and millions of stickers, and stuff like that.)

What are you going to be doing to keep your toddlers busy while you do school? I'd love to know.

3 comments:

  1. I love the wipes box idea. My DD is two also, and it's refreshing to hear from a fellow blogger that tot school doesn't need to be pushed yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just posted about this on my blog. Chubba constantly wants to do what his big brother is doing some I'm going to work with him on some letter crafts from Totally Tots and some other activities from Letter of the Week's preparatory curriculum. Lots of books, art, some science stuff and bible story boards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Mom I Want To Be-
    I think tot school is a neat idea, and we may even eventually do some of it with her, when she's 3 1/2 or 4, if V seems interested.
    We started fairly early with L because he was sort of determined to learn academic stuff at an early age, but if he hadn't have been interested, I would have been ok with waiting until he was 5 or even 6 to really get started.
    I do see a big push to do more earlier. If the kiddo is into it, I think that's fine, but in my opinion, it isn't actually necessary to teach a 3 or 4 year old to read.
    So yeah, no pressure from here. :) Let them play.
    V already picks up all kinds of stuff (good and bad,) just from listening to L, and the rest of us. She knows her full name, all of our names, most of her letters, and she's starting to count a little. She's also picked up several less savory things from her brother lately as well. They're learning all the time.

    ReplyDelete