Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Word Made Flesh: Literary Tattoos from Bookworms Wordwide (Review)

The Word Made Flesh: Literary Tattoos from Bookworms Worldwide

A book about tattoos about books. Sounds pretty cool, right? As a lover of books and tattoos, I was intrigued.
Every tattoo has a story, (although, admittedly, some stories are more compelling than others.) Here's a whole book about people, and the (mostly,) written words that inspired their tattoos.  From fairly obscure poetry references, to homages to the written word itself, (in the form of alphabets, and tattoos of librarians,) to illustrations from Where the Wild Things Are, this book covers a pretty diverse group of subjects.
I enjoyed the photos, but equally interesting were the quotes and explanations behind them. In typical book worm fashion, I made mental notes to try to get my hands on some of the books that were mentioned. Of course.
I know a lot of people with tattoos of cartoon characters, random animals, and people's names. I don't actually know anyone with tattoos inspired by books. The idea is fascinating to me.
I'd recommend this book to folks who enjoy either tats or books, but for a book lover who happens to also be a tattoo enthusiast, this book would be a real treat.
I think it would make a neat gift.

Disclosure: I was provided with a free review copy of the book by Harper Perennial. No other compensation was provided. The opinions expressed here are my own.

Additional Disclosure: Yes, I have tattoos. No, they're not literary. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment