Wednesday, May 18, 2011

WFMW: Read Awesome Free E-Books Without a Kindle

Several years ago, when e-books first came out, I found myself sort of puzzled. As the owner of a desktop PC, I couldn't imagine why you'd want to tie yourself to the desk for hours and hours in order to read a book.
After that came the Kindle and Nooks. Although I thought they sounded neat, they amounted to an extra, somewhat pricey, gadget to buy and keep up with. I didn't take the bait.
Last year my husband gave me an iPhone. It's taken me a while to discover all the things it can do, but I thought I'd share one of my favorite uses.
You can download the Kindle app for free on your iPhone, which allows you to read digital books from the Amazon Kindle store. That's pretty good news, but it gets even better.
There are lots of free books to be downloaded. Nearly all of the old "classic books" are now in the public domain, which means they are free. There are also a surprising amount of new releases that are offered for free for a limited time. (I find out about many of these by following my favorite publishers on Twitter.)
With the Kindle app on my iPhone, I'm never without a book. (And ya'll know I love books.)
For more Works for Me Wednesday posts, check out www.wearethatfamily.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment