Wednesday, May 20, 2009

WFMW Koolaid Dying Slips and Nightgowns




Did you know that you can kool-aid dye (or Wilton's dye,) nylon slips and nightgowns? You can. The process is the same as Kool-aid dying wool yarn or playsilks. (I won't post a tutorial, since there are folks that are way better at it than me that have posted great tutorials on Kool-aid dyeing.) The dye will be colorfast when you're done, and you can get all kinds of neat effects by tie dyeing and over dyeing.

I picked up this pretty vintage nylon slip at the thrift store a while back for less than $2. I Kool-aid dyed it in the microwave several different times, rinsing in between. I used several shades of green, and blue, I think, over dyeing the whole thing each time. I ended up with a nice subtle random crinkly effect. The lace turned out particularly cool.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
(I'm not sure why the color turned out so faded in this picture. The color was accurate in the first pictures.)
Adding new life to old slips and nightgowns with about $1 worth of Kool-aid: it worked for me.
Want to see more WFMW tips? Check out http://www.wearethatfamily.com/.

4 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea for giving older negligee new life! Thanks so much for sharing! Oh, and it's so pretty too! I love green and blue, so this would have been my choice too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great use for cheap-o after sales and coupons Kool-Aid, for those of us who don't actually drink it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I had no idea KoolAid could do that.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really neat! I wouldn't have thought to revive old slips by dying them!

    ReplyDelete