Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Knitting DVD rec


I've tried to teach myself to knit a million times. Once, with much nail biting and concentration, I actually cast on a few stitches, but I could never get past that point. I learned to crochet when I was a little girl. Crocheting seems easy. Knitting is like neurosurgery.

Yesterday while browsing the clearance section at Hobby Lobby, I saw a DVD called The Art of Knitting 4 Kids. It was four bucks, and advertised that it was suitable for children ages 5 and up. I figured I'd try it out. Surely I'm as coordinated as a 5 year old, right?
Guess what? It worked! I did several test swatches today, and then started a skinny garter stitch scarf out of some of that leftover Scandia yarn I had lying around. I'm about 6 inches into it, and unless I get WAY faster, it will probably be ready in time for my grandkids to wear it.
At any rate, if you or your kiddos have been wanting to learn to knit, I can seriously recommend this DVD. You might even be able to request it from the library.

1 comment:

  1. Funny, I find knitting easy and crochet for brainiacs. I just can't crochet. We should teach each other! I am glad that you found a dvd. Scarves are the best thing to start with.

    ReplyDelete